Expert Chimney Repair & Maintenance in the Greater Boston area
If you have a chimney problem, we can fix it. We handle:
Chimney Inspections: The chimney is exposed to the same weather conditions and elements as the rest of the home’s exterior. That means it needs regular inspection too. Failure to inspect a chimney regularly can turn minor repair jobs into major chimney replacement, leading to a potentially significant investment.
Chimney Repair: We offer a wide range of services covering chimney inspection and chimney repair, including:
Chimney Replacement and Installation: If you’ve noticed crumbling mortar around your chimney or in your gutters, your chimney needs an inspection. Contact GF Sprague for a complete chimney inspection to make sure there isn’t any water damage or areas where water can enter the roof as a result of a damaged chimney!
Even if you don’t have a fireplace, chances are you’ve got a chimney. Older homes in particular have chimneys that vent a gas furnace or water heater. These chimneys are just as important to your home’s comfort and proper operation as the furnace itself and should be inspected to make sure they are in good repair.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU TODAY?
For over 50 years GF Sprague has been inspecting, installing, maintaining, and repairing chimneys in Newton, Needham, Wellesley, Chestnut Hill, Weston, Boston, Brookline, Quincy, Watertown, Cambridge and the nearby areas. As the area’s leading local chimney company, you can count on our experience to keep your chimney in good repair and your family safe from the elements. Call 1-781-417-3894 to speak to a representative or Request a Quote right now for fast service.
MORE THAN HOME IMPROVEMENT
GF Sprague is more than a home improvement company; we are woven into the fabric of our community with passionate teams, philanthropic goals, and and positive work environments.
Common Problems That Require
Chimney repair is a critical component to maintaining a watertight room system. Failure to keep water from penetrating your home through compromised chimney areas not only puts your home’s interior at risk but can infect other areas of the exterior envelop as well.
Interior inspections are difficult for homeowners to do on their own. Most of the time, you won’t know if you have a problem inside the chimney unless there is a performance problem or if an inspection uncovers a problem. However, a visual inspection can uncover many exterior problems. Take a look at some of the most common problems we see:
- Obstructions: Chimney obstructions are a fire hazard. The blockage may be physical or there may not be enough updraft to draw smoke out of the home. Either way, the obstruction needs to be removed or you risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Creosote build-up: Creosote is found in smoke and adheres to the walls of the chimney. Over time, it can build up and cause chimney fires.
- Flue cracks: The flue is the chimney lining, which gets a lot of abuse from heat, smoke, and deposits of flammable creosote. This lining protects the rest of the home from heat and fire. If cracks develop it creates an access point for smoke, heat or fire to damage the interior of the home’s structure.
- Crumbling or missing mortar: Years of exposure can cause mortar to crumble and disconnect from the chimney. Tuckpointing fixes the problem by removing damaged mortar and replacing it with fresh new mortar, increasing the strength and stability of the chimney.
- Brickwork problems: Bricks can fall out, crack or weather away. We replace broken and damaged bricks to ensure the structural integrity of your chimney.
- Broken crowns and caps: The crown is the top edge of your chimney. A cap covers the actual chimney opening. Both need regular inspection to keep water out. Caps are also a good deterrent to keep animals and debris out of the chimney.
- Flashing problems: Chimneys need to be flashed properly to direct rain and snowmelt away from the base of the chimney and down the roof. If water sits at the base of the chimney it can wear away at the mortar and cause structural problems with the chimney. Flashing may be non-existent or it may have come loose or been damaged in a storm and require repair.
Why GF Sprague is One of Boston's Best Chimney Contractors
GF Sprague has been providing chimney maintenance, repair, replacement and chimney installation in Massachusetts for over 50 years. We have skilled masons and craftsmen on staff who can fix nearly any type of chimney problem. If you have a chimney problem that you need fixed, call us or click below to request a free estimate in Newton, Needham, Wellesley or nearby. Our technicians will evaluate your situation and recommend the best solution for your needs.
When you contact GF Sprague for chimney maintenance, repair or replacement in Boston you can expect:
- A comprehensive, FREE on-site analysis of your situation.
- A report on our inspection, written in straightforward, easy-to-understand language.
- A clear recommendation for chimney repair, maintenance or replacement.
- A clear timeline and price structure for any work you decide to have done.
- Full documentation of the damage and repairs for insurance purposes.
- No pressure. We understand that as a property owner you want to make sure you’re getting
the best value for your project.