Did You Know That Most Chimneys Ventilate Not Only Your Fireplace But Your Hot Water Heater And Furnace or Boiler Too?
Your chimney is exposed to the same weather and elements as your roof, and will[can] also suffer harmful damage and deterioration. Your chimney should be inspected regularly, preferably in spring or early summer when heating season is over. That way, you’ll minimize any damage and have enough time to schedule any repairs you may need before a new heating season begins in the fall.
- Missing Bricks, Mortar, Stucco or Stone – All of these materials will break down over time, accelerated by winter’s ice and freezing conditions.
- Spalling Bricks, Mortar, Stucco or Stone - Water can seep into the outer surface then freeze, blowing these masonry systems apart.
- Firebox Problems – The masonry inside and around your fireplace deteriorates and leaks water.
- Mortar Loss – Over time, mortar breaks down weakening the chimney. Early repair is essential to prevent more extensive damage. Repointing and replacement of bad mortar is certainly preferable to eventually rebuilding the entire chimney.
- Parts Falling Off – If the deterioration goes too far…watch out! Call us immediately!
- Flashing Leaks - This metalwork protects your home from water entering and damaging everything from the surrounding sheathing, framing, insulation, ceiling, walls, windows and electrical wires which can cause a fire when wet.
- Fireplace Smoke Back-Up – If Smoke enters your rooms rather than exiting up the chimney flu it is a drafting problem. As a temporary fix, try slightly opening a nearby window to increase the updraft.
- Carbon Monoxide Leaks – The most dangerous and deadliest condition of all! It occurs when gas migrates into your home rather than through a vent usually in your chimney.
If your chimney is showing these types of problems, contact GF Sprague immediately. We can perform chimney repairs of all types from minor fixes and regular maintenance to complete rebuilding and restoration.
Areas we service in Massachusetts:
Needham MA | Wellesley MA | Weston MA | Wayland MA | Sudbury MA | Newton MA | Brookline MA | Cambridge MA | Arlington MA | Boston MA | Concord MA | Lexington MA | Canton MA | Dover MA | Duxbury MA | Winchester MA | Cohasset MA | Hingham MA | Beverly MA | Swampscott MA | Scituate MA | Prides Crossing MA | Framingham MA | Natick MA | Quincy MA | Carlisle MA | Ipswich MA | Gloucester MA | Manchester MA | Newburyport MA | Westwood MA | Sherborn MA | Belmont MA | Lincoln MA | Milton MA | South Natick MA | Wellesley Hills MA | Newton Corner MA | Auburndale MA | Newtonville MA | Forest Hills MA | Waban MA | Newton Highlands MA | Newton Centre MA | Chestnut Hill MA | Waltham MA | Watertown MA | West Roxbury MA | Dedham MA | Norwood MA | Medfield MA | Milford MA | Wenham MA | Rowley MA | Marblehead MA | Georgetown MA | Hamilton MA | Medford MA | Sharon MA | Jamaica Plain MA | Walpole MA |